Director – Trade and Customer Relations
Responsible for the development and maintenance of relationships required to drive DMS’ strategic business position with key customers and trade and channel partners. Additional responsibilities include developing opportunities, selling, growing and maintaining product utilization among targeted healthcare providers. The incumbent will be held accountable for learning and maintaining a standard level of job knowledge related to their responsibilities, the product(s) they promote and the disease state they are utilized in. The incumbent may be present at appropriate venues such as medical professional conferences, manufacturer, distributor and customer meetings. The incumbent will represent the company in a professional manner at all times and comply with all legal and regulatory guidelines.
- Work with high-level decision-makers within the wholesale/specialty channel segments; developing and maintaining critical business relationships to ensure sales success as well as compliance with distributor agreements.
- Accountable for business development of both existing and new customer accounts.
- Manage and expand sales of channel segments to maximize company objectives.
- Plan and organize daily work schedule to call on existing or potential sales outlets and other trade factors.
- Adjusts content of sales presentations by studying the type of sales outlet or trade factor.
- Keeps management informed by submitting activity and results reports, such as daily call reports, weekly work plans, and monthly and annual territory analyses.
- Monitors competition by gathering current marketplace information on pricing, products, new products, etc.
- Recommends changes in products, service, and policy by evaluating results and competitive developments.
- Proactively identifies customer issues to protect and increase current and future business. Develops strategies and solutions to address the identified issues.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Provides historical records by maintaining records on area and customer sales.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Perform other duties and activities as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on meeting the customers’ needs; maintains confidentiality; seeks and incorporates external opinion and insight.
- Oral Communication - Speaks persuasively in positive or negative situations; actively listens and responds effectively to questions; demonstrates effective group presentation skills; and participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; adjusts writing style to meet needs of recipients; presents analytical data effectively.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; conserves organizational resources and offers suggestions on how to accomplish individual and business goals more efficiently and effectively at lower costs.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; inspires and earns the trust of others; conducts all activities with integrity; upholds organizational values; observes all relevant laws, regulations, ethical standards and conventions.
- Organizational Support - Observes policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks consistent with company policies and on time; supports organizational goals and values; contributes to evolving culture.
- Motivation – Is results orientated; sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Is highly organized; prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; sets goals and objectives; develops realistic action plans; proactively checks self against objectives and modifies as needed.
- Dependability - Follows instructions and responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; honors commitments; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work and how to improve patients’ lives
- Bachelor’s degree required; Doctorate degree in pharmacy preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of proven successful pharmacist experience preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years of proven pharmaceutical sales experience or equivalent sales experience.
- High levels of understanding of the entire trade distribution network, including wholesale/ managed care/specialty provider distribution preferred.
- Ability to travel 20-40 percent, both locally and overnight
- The position requires the ability to access and communicate effectively and persuasively with high level medical professionals, such as pharmacists, physicians and department managers.
- Proven product knowledge in business area
- Valid driver's license
- Special consideration given to qualified Veterans